[rrd-users] Re: Oracle integration

Kempf, Reed rkempf at rightnow.com
Thu May 22 16:49:31 MEST 2003

Thats a pretty a pretty broad question.  How do you want to integrate with oracle?  I have done some integration with oracle in the fact that I use python to collect data and insert the data into oracle at 5 minute intervals.  That data is also updated into an rrdtool database for the same 5 minute interval.  The reason I keep it in both places is that rrdtool is a great tool to display trend data graphs for a years worth of data in very compact and efficient way.  The oracle data is kept for backup and recovery purposes and custom reporting.

Yes, it is redundant data is some respects but the data is further broken down into summary tables within oracle but the raw data is kept in rrdtool for the aforementioned reasons.

I have also queried directly from oracle to create rrdtool graphs on the fly.  Its just a matter of keeping your data in a format which could be easily tranferred into rrdtool....meaning intervals.

please clarify your question and perhaps someone could pinpoint your exact issue.

ReedK