[rrd-users] Re: problem

Stephan Harren sh at abovenet.de
Wed Sep 3 15:38:02 MEST 2003

> I created an RRA
> rrdtool create test.rrd -s 5 \
> DS:getal:GAUGE:60:U:U \
> RRA:LAST:0.5:1:50 \
> RRA:LAST:0.5:2:20

Did you insert this values with or without timestamp? The point is, that your
rrd accepts one value every 5 seconds, and one value gets unknown, if you
don't insert something for 60 seconds. As you see, the first value you
inserted was 979 (just once). So every five seconds, it's 979 because there
is no new value but the old one is valid, (because it has been inserted
during the last 60 seconds).

As you see, taking care of step and heartbeat is very important. 607.8 comes
from 4 times 515 plus 979 divided by 5, which means the last input that has
been made was 979, but through the next 4 datapoints there was just 1 input
made, which now becomes valid for calculation since then. Again the problem
is the step/heartbeat ratio is the problem.

Example:

15 - No Input
20 - No Input
25 - No Input

leads to

because at 25, 20, 15 there was no input, but there is a known and still valid
datapoint.

30 - 6.087

Internally (not in the table, above of it, if you use rrdtool fetch) there is
the last input at 10 still saved. Now there is a new input at 30. As they are
both valid (because of heartbeat 60),there is a rate calculated which leads
to this confusing result.

And so on ...

If you insert one value every five seconds with the exact timestamp, this
won't happen, but if I was you, I would work on the step/heartbeat ratio. You
can find a lot about this on the rrdtool homepage.

Hope this helps and did not lead to any further confusion. And by the way, I
hope that I'm right .... ;-)) (Tobi, correct me if I'm wrong)

Best regards,

Stephan
--
Stephan Harren