[rrd-users] R: Re: RRD - Working with unknow data and changing unknown into zero

Simone Felici s.felici at alpikom.it
Tue Feb 3 23:21:15 MET 2004

Thank you for your answer Alex!

It's all ok about the question on how resolve some peaks on the graph,
expect for the "restore_with_some_flag", but no problem, I'll try to
dump, edit and then restore! :)

For my first question (the most important) I haven't understood very
well.
Let me see if I've understood well the docs U've written about the
unknown values :P
If I've to sum two (or more) values into one variable, if ONLY one of
these is unknown, also the result of the sum is unknown too, also I've
to check the unknown values and convert into zero to make the sum right.

Ok, If the above is right I must do this to see any graph.

Other think I haven't understood is WHY the MAX and AVERAGE values are
right and the MIN and LAST not?
Example, if I've 3 intervals SUM1 = 3 + 5 = 8, SUM2 = 2 + 3 = 5, SUM3 =
1 + 1 = 2

I should have MAX = 8, MIN = 2, AVERAGE = 5, LAST = 2; but I receive MAX
= 8, MIN = 0, AVERAGE = 5 and LAST = 0.
I think it's strange, the values should be calculated on the different
sums... And it happens ONLY If I convert unknown values into zero (to
obtain a graph, otherwise no graph is shown if there are NaN values)

Ok, maybe I'm wrong, any help? :)

Thank's a lot to everyone!

Simon