[rrd-users] Re: newbie question (creating an rrd that is updated occasionally)...

Stephan Harren sh at abovenet.de
Fri Feb 20 18:45:17 MET 2004

And actually, that's the solution.

rrdtool create foo.rrd -b -100days -s # of secs in 30 days  DS:...etc..
RRA:LAST:...etc..

Now you should pick the last timestamp from your rrd that exists, doing
so by rrdtool dump foo.rrd.

Then you update your rrd with exactly this timestamp, after about
another thirty days with the next timestamp=timestamp+ # of secs in 30
days by doing
rrdtool update bla bla timestamp:value. It doesn't matter if you do that
after maybe 31 or 32 days, but be sure to provide the right timestamp.

The secret is that it's always a rate, so take care of heartbeat and
step. A good idea for your example is to take a step of 30 days and a
heartbeat of 60 days. If you then provide the values with the exact
timestamps you'll have that value valid for exactly thirty days.

HTH,

Stephan

--
Stephan Harren