[rrd-users] Network downtime or uptime

Joubin Moshrefzadeh joubinrc at yahoo.com
Thu Jan 29 01:33:37 MET 2004

Ok, here's a question... I've seen all sorts of applications of MRTG and RRDtool to keep track of traffic patterns, but no mention of actual network downtime or uptime.

Perhaps this isn't as big a deal to most users, I don't know. But anyway, my boss would like some stats to show our overall campus networks health/connectivity rates... anyone tried to gather this kind of stats using RRDtool and if so, would you like to share your approach?

I have a crude approach:
1. do an snmpget on a switch
2. based on the response, increment an uptime or downtime counter (both are DS in an rrd)
3. generate graphs showing downtime (percentage) and uptime

your thoughts, comments?

Thanks,
Joubin