[rrd-users] Re: Excluding UNKN or NAN from CDEF

Eric Brander Eric_Mailing_List at rednarb.com
Mon Sep 27 16:59:19 MEST 2004

Stephan Harren wrote:

> Hi Eric,
>
> I think, it might be good for you to read the tutorials and manuals
> about rrdtool. But anyways, what do you want to achieve? Showing
> everything allright when there are NaN's? It is not very nice to say:
> "Okay, if I don't know what happened, probably everything was allright.".

Well, not really. I'm still graphing ups and downs (1's and 0's
respectively) but I only want the service level line to report the
average of everything EXCEPT unknowns. I don't want the SLA to be wrong
because the polling PC missed a poll. Therefor I only want actual data
to be graphed and unknowns ignored.

> But ok, there is one line that defines Cleaned:
>
> CDEF:Cleaned=Response,UN,0.0,Response,IF
>

> This line sets all NaN to 0.0, insert whatever you want instead of the 0.0.

Good suggestion but its result is not quite what I was looking for.
This makes all unknowns = 0.0 (or in my case I tried 1.0 - which made
the graphs look far more successful than they should be) Again, the only
acceptable result would be to eliminate unknowns entirely.

> Cheers,
>
> Stephan

I'll go run through the tutorial pages again. It has been a while and
though I felt comfortable with RRDTool afterward, this seemingly more
complicated graph building syntax has be a little bewildered.

Thanks,

Eric Brander
All questions to life's problems are easy, if you know the answer.