[rrd-users] Re: the good old "packet loss & rtt in the same graph" question

Haroon Rafique haroon.rafique at utoronto.ca
Mon Jan 17 16:09:24 MET 2005

On Thursday at 5:45pm, KM=>Kolus Maximiliano <Kolus.maximiliano at bcr.com.ar>...:

KM> Hello,
KM> 	Im another dreamer chasing the "packet loss & rtt in the same
KM> graph quest". I tried to search the archives but found no answer to
KM> this but someone changing the background when the the packet loss rate
KM> exceeded certain percentage.
KM>
KM> 	But what I want to do is draw this packet loss as a LINE1, being
KM> the top of the graph 100% and the bottom 0%. What I don't know is how
KM> to graph something ignoring the current scale. Ie: if I had a rtt of
KM> 500, the graph would be from 0 to 500 and a 100% packet loss would be
KM> one fifth of this graph.
KM>
KM> 	I tried to, I believe incorrectly, use the INF value, by doing
KM> something like this in a cdef:
KM>
KM> (loss*INF)/100
KM>
KM> 	but it didn't work.
KM>
KM> 	So Im asking here if anyone accomplished this. Isnt there something
KM> like "GRAPH_TOP" and "GRAPH_BOTTOM" variable? If I knew those values, it
KM> would be easy to "scale" the packet loss.
KM>
KM> 	Any clues will be greatly appreciated.

Hi Kolus,

Please take a look at my RTT and packet loss percentage graphs at:
http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/perl/rrd.cgi/network_stats/
Obviously my graphs are not the same as the one you described, but perhaps
by looking at mine you will be able to get some more ideas.

The front-end being used to display the graphs is rrd.cgi:
http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/rrd/scripts/
The config file is at:
http://haroon.sis.utoronto.ca/rrd/scripts/rrd-network.cfg

Here are my DEFs and CDEFs:

DEF:roundtrip=/www/htdocs/rrd/logs/network_stats/ping_internal.rrd:rtt:AVERAGE
DEF:packetloss=/www/htdocs/rrd/logs/network_stats/ping_internal.rrd:pl:AVERAGE
CDEF:NoPL=packetloss,10,LE,INF,UNKN,IF
CDEF:25PL=packetloss,25,LE,packetloss,10,GT,INF,UNKN,IF,UNKN,IF
CDEF:50PL=packetloss,50,LE,packetloss,25,GT,INF,UNKN,IF,UNKN,IF
CDEF:75PL=packetloss,75,LE,packetloss,50,GT,INF,UNKN,IF,UNKN,IF
CDEF:100PL=packetloss,100,LE,packetloss,75,GT,INF,UNKN,IF,UNKN,IF

My graphs were inspired by Brandon Gant's at:
http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/gallery/brandon-01.html

Hope this helps.
--
Haroon Rafique