[rrd-users] Re: confusing errors

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri May 20 17:40:58 MEST 2005

On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 11:23:41AM -0300, Natan wrote:
> I'm using rrdtool 1.26 for win32, and I think the error messages are too
> cofusing and don't help at all.
>
> Consider this scenario: create a DEF, use it to create a VDEF, then use
> the VDEF in GPRINT.
>
> if my DEF can't be read (e.g. no RRA matches CF), the error is "garbage
> near GPRINT", making me think that my GPRINT is wrong.
>
> After reading the manual lots and lots of times, following examples and
> recreating the command, I decided deleted the GRPRINT command and then
> it said that there was an error near VDEF command, deleting it I found
> out that I put the wrong RRA in DEF command.
>
> rrdtool certainly could tell me this error sooner....

I tried to reproduce this and failed.

What I did notice is this:  if you do something like:

rrdtool graph DEF:ds0=test.rrd:ds0:AVERAGE VDEF:m=ds0,MAXIMUM PRINT:m:%lf

then it produces an error:

ERROR: Not a valid vname: ds0 in line VDEF:m=ds0,MAXIMUM

It may not be clear that the "DEF" statement is actually the graph
file name.

Can you give an example line, as small as possible but one that still
fails?

Alex