[rrd-users] Re: Problems with locale

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Oct 25 05:28:40 MEST 2005

On Tue, Oct 25, 2005 at 02:43:16AM +0300, Andrius Narbutas wrote:
> Upgraded to rrdtool 1.2.11 with hope, that i get my regional letters
> shown correctly ;-) Got several problems :
> a) fixed colons in code. This isn't a problem, this is described in
> "major incompat." list. BUT. I didn't find anywhere mentioned, that
> variables in 1.2.x can't be only digits. I used such variables in 1.0.x
> version without a problem (shell script that picks users from db, finds
> rrd and draws graphs, so easiest way to implement this - start a counter
> and use it as variable ;-) - but now my scripts stopped working. Take a
> look :

Wow.  Your enter key seems to be broken.

> rrdtool graph img.png --start -86400 --imgformat PNG --step 300
> DEF:1=db.rrd:Lbig:AVERAGE LINE1:1#61C323:label
> This works in 1.0.x without problems, but in 1.2.x it draws only empty
> horiz. line. No warnings, no errors. Just don't works as expected. Devs,
> please, mention this issue somewhere in changelog ;-) It isn't hard to
> change "DEF:$counter=db.rrd" to "DEF:randomstring${counter}=db.rrd" -
> but how to know what to change? ;-)

Would you have used "
   DEF:a=some.rrd....
   DEF:b=other.rrd....
   DEF:1=db.rrd.....
   CDEF:c=a,1,+
"

do you expect c to be equal to a plus the number 1, or to a plus the content
of DEF 1 ?

I think no one considered all numeric to be valid.  Not because it was
described somewhere, but because it is error prone.  _you_ may never use
CDEFs as I did in my example, but that example shows why it was a bad
idea to use numeric names even in version 0.99.x

And in version 1.2 you can, indeed, do "LINE:1#FF0000:line at 1".

I'm sure not all problems are ironed out.

As for the font/encoding problems, I do seem to recall this being discussed
on the developers list quite some time ago.  Please search the archives.
No, I do not remember exactly and no, I do not know.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/