[rrd-users] Re: don't know which datatype to choose

Tobias Oetiker oetiker at ee.ethz.ch
Sat Sep 3 08:36:13 MEST 2005

Hi Alex,

what you describe is the operation that is performed for COUNTER
and DERIVE. COUNTER will detect wraparound at 32bit and 64bit
bounderies ... if your counter does not wrap like that you can use
DERIVE which would just got 'negative' if a counter wraps, but if
you define the minimal value for the datasource to be 0, then you
get exactly what you need ...

cheers
tobi

Today Alex Prinsier wrote:

> I want to create a rrd-db which I update with how much bytes have been
> sent over the network. This counter doesn't reset when reading (like the
> one from a router). In the end I want to know how much data has been
> sent from one moment in time till another one.
>
> I could use the COUNTER type, but then I would get the actual speed of
> the data getting transmitted, not the amount.
>
> I could use the GAUGE type, but then I would need to get the counter
> reset everytime I read from it.
>
> I need something that calculates the difference between the last update
> and the current one, but one that doesn't divide it by the time elapsed.
>
> Anyone can suggest me something to use?
>
> Btw: when the counter resets anyway (like from a reboot), and not at the
> 32-bit boundary, does rrdtool notice this and know what to do?
>
> Thanks in advance,
>
> Alex
>
> --

/_  __/_  / /  (_) Oetiker @ ISG.EE, ETL F24.2, ETH, CH-8092 Zurich
 / // _ \/ _ \/ /  System Manager, Time Lord, Coder, Designer, Coach
/_/ \.__/_.__/_/   http://people.ee.ethz.ch/oetiker +41(0)44-632-5286