[rrd-users] Re: don't know which datatype to choose

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Sat Sep 3 10:36:16 MEST 2005

On Sat, Sep 03, 2005 at 01:58:10AM +0200, Alex Prinsier wrote:

> I want to create a rrd-db which I update with how much bytes have been
> sent over the network. This counter doesn't reset when reading (like the
> one from a router). In the end I want to know how much data has been
> sent from one moment in time till another one.
>
> I could use the COUNTER type, but then I would get the actual speed of
> the data getting transmitted, not the amount.

If data is transfered at "x" bytes per second, during "y" seconds,
then there is "x multiplied by y" bytes transfered.

This means you can get the average rate during an interval you want
and multiply it by the amount of time.  Use CDEFs for this.

Together with Tobi's answer this should get you started.

cheers
Alex