[rrd-users] Re: Possible RRDs.pm Bug

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Fri Sep 30 02:31:32 MEST 2005

On Thu, Sep 29, 2005 at 08:18:32PM -0400, Tom Daly wrote:
> >> Has anyone has problems when trying to use GPRINTs with RRDs.pm? Tobi's
> >> docs indicate that "GPRINT:vname:format" is the corrent syntax for a
> >> GPRINT.
> >
> > (G)PRINT  of a  DEF:   vname:CF:format
> > (G)PRINT  of a CDEF:   vname:CF:format
> > (G)PRINT  of a VDEF:   vname:format
> >
> > Last time I checked, this was in the documentation.  Which piece is wrong?
>
> Looking at
> http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/rrdtool/doc/rrdgraph_graph.en.html:
>
> GPRINT:vname:format
>      This is the same as PRINT, but printed inside the graph.
>
> Maybe its not wrong, but misleading. I'm not really sure how to solve the
> problem. I'd like to be able to print the current value in the GPRINT.
> Suggestions?

Uh... yes... read the rest of that same manual page?

"(G)PRINT:vname:CF:format" is included. Really.

You can solve it in two ways:

1: use the old, backward compatible mode:
      GPRINT:foo:AVERAGE:bar
   this will also work in rrdtool 1.0 scripts

2: use the new, VDEF generated mode:
      VDEF:foo_avg=foo,AVERAGE
      GPRINT:foo_avg:bar
   this won't work in rrdtool 1.0 scripts but you can use foo_avg inside CDEFs

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/