[rrd-users] Re: How best to optimise an rrd

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Thu Aug 17 03:10:16 MEST 2006

On Thu, Aug 17, 2006 at 09:42:47AM +1000, Rob Conway wrote:

> I have not really seen the capabilities of an rrd repository however is it
> feasible to have 10 DS's in an rrd updated every 1 min, 5 min AVG (3 months)
> 1 hr AVG (1 years) daily AVG MIN MAX (2 years).  I run rrd on a small Xscale
> 266MHZ processor which is the linksys NSLU2

There currently is some talk on the developers list about how to improve
performance for those monitoring many thousands of interfaces.

I'd say you probably won't have to worry about your ten.

The amount of data in one RRA (your AVG) won't impact performance at
all, only the amount of diskspace depends.  The amount of RRAs and DSes
will impact performance but unless you are going to monitor much, much
more than you do now you won't notice the process.

cheers
--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/