[rrd-users] Re: consolidating WLAN speed

maiktoepfer at web.de maiktoepfer at web.de
Mon Feb 6 14:52:15 MET 2006

Alex van den Bogaerdt <alex at ergens.op.het.net> schrieb am 05.02.06 00:34:20:

> On Sat, Feb 04, 2006 at 08:17:10PM +0100, Maik Toepfer wrote:
> > Hello Alex,
> >
> > thanks for your response. In your example a decision would be necessary (e.g. if 2 or more equal max. counts, choose highest value (11 in your case). This needs to be defined previously.
>
> I think it needs to be done outside rrdtool.  That also means
> you would be using rrdtool as a graphing program, not what it
> was designed for, therefore I think you are trying to use the
> wrong tool.

I'm intending to save the speed over one year so the RRA functionality
would be perfect. I also monitor WLAN signals like
quality and strength which are classic GAUGE data series.

Generally, if one wants to store discret values using RRD the only
possible aggregate functions are MIN,MAX and LAST. All three don't alter
the value. AVERAGE computes a new number which is very likely to be
not in the set of the input values.
So MIN, MAX and LAST would be the functions of choice. But since
they where build for time series within a certain range of values
they don't provide something like "take the value which appeared
most often and store it".

What I like to do is to see which speed rate has been mostly used.

> I could be wrong of course.  If I am, I'm sure someone will be
> able to correct me.
>
> --
> Alex van den Bogaerdt
> http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/