[rrd-users] Re: xff insufficiently documented & traffic volume recording

Alex van den Bogaerdt alex at ergens.op.het.net
Tue Jan 17 14:45:58 MET 2006

On Tue, Jan 17, 2006 at 01:05:04PM +0100, Michael Bunk wrote:

> first, I find the "x files factor" difficult. This has two reasons:
>
> 	1. Its name does not give a hint to its meaning. Where does it come from?

IIRC it does give a hint, you just didn't understand it :)

Unless my memory is really wrong, Tobi didn't like the concept but
was somewhat forced to include this feature due to popular demand.
Strange things happen to your history data when you allow unknown
data to become "known" data (not really of course).  It has a
certain level of spookyness, weird things can happen, etc.  A link
to a certain television series is now easily made.

> 	2. The rrdcreate man page does not specify the units it is in.
>
> Reading the sourcecode, I found that it can take values from 0 to 1 and now it
> makes sense. Therefore, please rename it to "upr" aka "unknown period ratio"
> and mention the allowed range in the man page.

I agree Ratio would have been better than Factor.  I still like
X-Files, so my suggestion would be "xfr".  However, that looks too
much like "transfer" thus is not an appropriate change.

You are welcome to submit patches to any part of the program, including
its documentation.  Edit the file 'rrdcreate.pod' and submit the differences,
preferably in the right format as described in file README in the top of
the distribution directory tree.

--
Alex van den Bogaerdt
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/