[rrd-users] How to Force Generation of VRULE Regardless of Scale

Chris Neumann chris at asterdata.com
Fri Jan 26 17:44:42 CET 2007

Joe,

Were all four of your graphs generated from the same RRD, or were they each from a different RRD
with a different scale (i.e. hourly, rolled up to daily, rolled up to monthly, etc.?)

In my case, I have data collected and stored in 1 second slots.  Thus, a one-day graph would have
86,400 slots.  When graphing, I might use the entire RRD or just a subset of the domain (such as the
last 10 minutes - 600 slots, by specifying appropriate parameters for --end and --start).  What I've
found is unless I "zoom in" enough (restrict the graph's domain using --end and --start), the VRULEs
aren't drawn.  My suspicion is that if the domain gets too large, rrdtool graph will not display the
VRULEs, as they have a fixed "width" of one slot (e.g. one second, in my case).  How does this
compare to what you've been doing?

Thanks,

- Chris