[rrd-users] Malloc error when creating graph (Debian on NSLU2/ARM)

Petteri Matilainen pmatil at gmail.com
Tue Feb 5 17:22:03 CET 2008

Hi

I'm running NSLU2 with Debian 2.6.22 and RRDtool 1.2.26. I ran your
test, but got no error:

# rrdtool graph temptest.png \
--end now --start end-48799 -a PNG -t "Temperaturverlauf 4h" \
--vertical-label "Temperatur °C" \
--width 800 --height 400 \
DEF:aussen=temptest.rrd:AF:AVERAGE \
CDEF:aus=aussen,10,/ \
LINE1:aus#ff0000:"Aussen"

# 897x479

So I get a graph. Are you sure that ./configure doesn't give you any
errors on malloc? Or are you using RRDtool from apt? Mine is compiled
from sources, WITHOUT optimizations. Optimizations caused calculation
errors for me.

cheers,

-Petteri Matilainen

u7l11ey at mail.lrz-muenchen.de wrote:
> Hi Tobi,
>
> thanks for following up on this. However, your suggestion does not make
> any difference.
>
> Here is a simple test case, modeled after my original setup:
>
> rrdtool create temptest.rrd --start 1201691880 --step 60 \
> DS:AF:GAUGE:120:U:U \
> RRA:AVERAGE:0.5:1:11520
>
> (No data loaded into the rrdtool database!)
>
> rrdtool graph temptest.png \
> --end now --start end-48799 -a PNG -t "Temperaturverlauf 4h" \
> --vertical-label "Temperatur °C" \
> --width 800 --height 400 \
> DEF:aussen=temptest.rrd:AF:AVERAGE \
> CDEF:aus=aussen,10,/ \
> LINE1:aus#ff0000:"Aussen"
>
> results in: ERROR: malloc im->gdes[gdi].data
>
> When I change the "start" parameter of the "rrdtool graph" command
> to "end-48800" (just one second more!), the expected empty graph is
> produced.
>
> Could somebody with a development environment on a NSLU2 running Debian
> reproduce this test case and maybe debug what is happening?
>
> Regards, Richard
>

>> Richard,
>>
>> one idea that just occurs to me is that maybe by reducing the time
>> span a smaller higher resolution RRA gets picked from your rrd and
>> this actually leads to MORE date eventouch the time span is shorter
>>
>> for testing, try an rrd with only one RRA
>>
>> cheers
>> tobi
>>
>> Today u7l11ey at mail.lrz-muenchen.de wrote:
>>

>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I get a strange error when creating a graph. My system is a Linksys
>>> NSLU2
>>> running Debian (Linux slug 2.6.18-5-ixp4xx #1 Sun Dec 23 05:17:39 UTC
>>> 2007
>>> armv5tel GNU/Linux), I'm using rrdtool 1.2.15. The same problem has also
>>> been reported for 1.2.23, see ticket #111 on the rrdtool website.
>>>
>>> This is the graph definition:
>>>
>>> rrdtool graph temperatur4.png \
>>> --end now --start end-48799 -a PNG -t "Temperaturverlauf 4h" \
>>> --vertical-label "Temperatur °C" \
>>> --width 800 --height 400 \
>>> DEF:aussen=temperatur.rrd:AF:AVERAGE \
>>> CDEF:aus=aussen,10,/ \