[rrd-users] rrd graph issues

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Thu Jul 3 19:58:32 CEST 2008

Emily Chouinard wrote:
>So what I've gathered from working with this, is once I removed the
>stack and turned the line into an area it all seem to work out.
>Therefore I assume, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but when you use
>STACK the width of the line value is added so that in may case where it
>should of displayed 99% instead it displayed a value above 100%

If you use STACK then whatever you are drawing is stacked on top of
the last plot - ie the last plot is used as the baseline and your
values are added.

If you don't use stack, then the values are plotted from 0 as a baseline.

>is
>there a way to get around this so that I can still create the beautiful
>graph I want but not have the STACK affect my final displayed values?

I'm not 100% sure what you are trying to achieve - I think you are
trying to draw an area for Nice, then a line 1% above it, then an
area above that for Sys, another line 1% above that, and so on with
User and Idle. Since you are drawing three lines, each value 1
stacked on top of Nice, Sys, and User, then the total will always be
103%.

Why not draw a line at value 0 ?

If that doesn't work, then you could draw the stacked areas, then go
back and draw lines at Nice, Nice+Sys, and Nice+Sys+User.