[rrd-users] Graphing integer data in Cacti/RRDTool

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Jun 12 15:34:43 CEST 2008

Nick,

Today Nick Ellson wrote:

> Hi Tobi!
>
> In this case, with the # of users logged in, I'd like it to display the
> sampling that it has for the 12:00 instant. Then the 12:05 instant for the
> 12:05-12:10 window.
>
> So ultimately perhaps I need Cacti's poller to assist in keeping the data
> collection times consistant over the 5 min polling intervals, yet tell RRDTool
> that the data set it is dealing with is integer in nature.
>
> And from what I read, there seems to a a small handful of data sets folks are
> graphing that fit this model (where an interpolation with a decimal answer
> make no sense).

hmmm what I tried to tell you is, that it DOES make sense, or what
should it display in a graph where you see one value for a whole
day ?

> How would you describe the behavior that MRTG without RRD behaved in this
> matter? As it did produce the squarewave like graphs I felt did a great job of
> representing interger gauges such as this.

mrtg was designed with network traffic in minde, kilo, mega giga
bytes, decimals did not seem to matter in this context. So what you
are seeing is a artifact due to a 'miss-use' of mrtg :-)

cheers
tobi

http://it.oetiker.ch tobi at oetiker.ch ++41 62 213 9902