[rrd-users] RRD smoothing - please help

johan thoren johan_thoren at yahoo.se
Tue Nov 11 07:36:22 CET 2008

William, thanks for your reply!

I looking to accomplish a five minute graph with integer values like below.
The problem is that I cant get rid of the double X.XX values that is produced by RRD.

no.
4.                            ____
3.                     ____
2.       ____
1.____       ____
0.    300. 600. 900. 1200 time

Willia wrote: - "In general, your heartbeat interval should be set greater than the interval at
which you store data.  In example, if you store data to your RRD file every 300
seconds, you may consider setting your heartbeat interval for 600 seconds (or
even 3600 seconds, which is much larger)."- My heartbeat is 100. My RRA is RRA:MAX:0.1:3:1000, meaning three data collection stores to one RRD value every 300 seconds (5 minutes). I can´t stop RRD from approximating the values stored in RRD... I know that ONLY integer values without digits are sent to RRD.

William wrote: "
Your maximum value, for starters, will be largely effected by the
frequency/resolution at which you run your data collection.  So, if you're
only sampling your data every 300 seconds, you'll only get one reading for
that period, not necessarily the maximum value over that period of time.
Someone else with more rrdtool experience can correct me if I'm mistaken."

- I have a separate data collector, which is scheduled to poll data every 100
seconds. So I know Im getting three data point for every RRD stprage point.
Is the any specific periods in the 0-100 sec interval which is safe/unsafe?
e.g. will a value stored closer to 0 or 100 somehow get interpolated?

Tack,
Johan