[rrd-users] fixed font sizes with rrdtool 1.3.x + cacti

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Jan 8 06:36:56 CET 2009

Hi Nate,

Yesterday nate wrote:

> Everything seems to work great, except I'd like to get real
> fixed width fonts back if possible.

Cool about the better performance :-)

> Example of graph taken earlier last year with rrdtool 1.2.x:
> http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/rrdtool-1.2-graph.png
>
> Example of graph taken a couple minutes ago with rrdtool 1.3.5:
> http://portal.aphroland.org/~aphro/rrdtool-1.3-graph.png

the problem with the fonts is that your system seems to be missing
a 'fixed width' font. rrdtool 1.3 uses fontconfig to pick up the
fonts. it looks for one of the following fonts.

 DejaVu Sans Mono,Bitstream Vera Sans Mono,monospace,Courier

you can type

 fc-list

to see what you have. I would recommend installing the dejavu fonts
and then running fc-cache and checking with fc-list that they get
found.

maybe it is sufficient to ruun fc-cache

also there is a config file for the whole fontconfig stuff,
probably in /etc/fontconfig

hth

cheeers
tobi