[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Tobias Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Tue Aug 17 17:09:24 CEST 2010

Today Marc MERLIN wrote:

> Sorry to hear that this is an rrdtool limitation that is considered a
> WONTFIX apparently, since I don't think I'm severely misusing rrdtool
> with my data and graphs :) and I'm not quite sure how eltse I can do what
> I'm doing :-/

storing on/off in a gauge ds is fine ... and if you draw your blue
area based on x > 0 then everything is fine ...

2gb is not an inherent limit of rrdtool as such as long as your
filesystem supports it ...

or just store dses in different rrd files

as for storing arbitrary binary data as time series in rrdtool, it
is all a matter of coming up with a sensible configuration model
and implementation strategy for makeing this work ... if you want
to spend your time on this, I'll be glad to review your plan and
code. And I will also merge your patches if we can agreee on things

but as you dive into the code you will seee that your project would
require rather fundamental 'work'

cheeers
tobi