[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Wed Aug 18 18:38:20 CEST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 05:09:24PM +0200, Tobias Oetiker wrote:
> Today Marc MERLIN wrote:
>
> > Sorry to hear that this is an rrdtool limitation that is considered a
> > WONTFIX apparently, since I don't think I'm severely misusing rrdtool
> > with my data and graphs :) and I'm not quite sure how eltse I can do what
> > I'm doing :-/
>
> storing on/off in a gauge ds is fine ... and if you draw your blue
> area based on x > 0 then everything is fine ...

Yes, that's what I did before, it just have 6 different on/off statuses
to keep track of, and more to come, and could not spare the wasted space
of double storage for each when I only had a bit.

> 2gb is not an inherent limit of rrdtool as such as long as your
> filesystem supports it ...

It's a inherent limit on 32bit systems last I tried. My filesystem is
ext4 and supports it just fine :)
I sent you a SIGBUS report when I exceeded that limit.

> or just store dses in different rrd files

Not convenient for use with cacti.

> as for storing arbitrary binary data as time series in rrdtool, it
> is all a matter of coming up with a sensible configuration model
> and implementation strategy for makeing this work ... if you want
> to spend your time on this, I'll be glad to review your plan and
> code. And I will also merge your patches if we can agreee on things
>
> but as you dive into the code you will seee that your project would
> require rather fundamental 'work'

I had a simple thought this morning: just ignore any value that's been
interpolated by cacti and throw it away.
An easy way to detect one is that it's very unlikely that it'll be an
integer, so instead of
CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,8,/,FLOOR,2,%,1,EQ,INF,UNKN,IF
I'm now using
CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,DUP,FLOOR,EQ,CURRENT_DATA_SOURCE,8,/,FLOOR,2,%,1,EQ,INF,UNKN,IF,UNKN,IF

Arguably, it's a hack, but the simplest way out for me.

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/