[rrd-users] [rrd] Can't I turn off data smoothing for GAUGE?

Marc MERLIN marc_rrd at merlins.org
Thu Aug 19 02:57:58 CEST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 09:38:20AM -0700, Marc MERLIN wrote:
> > as for storing arbitrary binary data as time series in rrdtool, it
> > is all a matter of coming up with a sensible configuration model
> > and implementation strategy for makeing this work ... if you want
> > to spend your time on this, I'll be glad to review your plan and
> > code. And I will also merge your patches if we can agreee on things
> >
> > but as you dive into the code you will seee that your project would
> > require rather fundamental 'work'
>
> I had a simple thought this morning: just ignore any value that's been
> interpolated by cacti and throw it away.
> An easy way to detect one is that it's very unlikely that it'll be an
> integer, so instead of

Going back to your point, while I don't need this myself anymore (although I
just see another message apparently asking for the same thing), how about
this:
- make a new DATA type that is similar to GAUGE without smoothing
or
- add a rrdtool create flag for GAUGE where it's marked as no smoothing

I haven't looked at the code and can't comment on how difficult either is,
but I can think of several legitate uses for GAUGE where smoothing would not
be ok (not counting my bitfield thing, which is admittedly mabye a bit
beyond what rrdtool fields were originally meant for, even if it happens to
work great ;) ).

Marc
Home page: http://marc.merlins.org/