[rrd-users] Error trying to build rrdlib in VS2008

Peter McFarlane petermc at andersenit.com.au
Mon Aug 23 08:35:02 CEST 2010

Hi everyone,

Hope this is the appropriate list for this question...

I am trying to build rrdtool in Visual Studio 2008. The rrdtool version I am trying to build is 1.4.4.
I have followed the steps in the file "WIN32-BUILD-TIPS.txt", up to step 4... this file seems to indicate that opening rrd.sln and building from there will work.
I first try to build rrdlib, but almost immediately after starting the compilation, it gives this error:

------ Build started: Project: rrdlib, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
Compiling...
rrd_getopt1.c
..\src\rrd_getopt1.c(74) : error C2664: '_getopt_internal' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char *const *' to 'char **'
        Conversion loses qualifiers
..\src\rrd_getopt1.c(88) : error C2664: '_getopt_internal' : cannot convert parameter 2 from 'char *const *' to 'char **'
        Conversion loses qualifiers
Build log was saved at "file://c:\rrdtool\rrdtool-1.4.4\win32\Debug\BuildLog.htm"
rrdlib - 2 error(s), 0 warning(s)
========== Build: 0 succeeded, 1 failed, 0 up-to-date, 0 skipped ==========

I am not particularly experienced in Visual Studio... I have built rrdtool on AIX before using the GNU compiler suite and all the other libraries that rrdtool depends on.

I would prefer to dispense with the AIX-based tool - I have to generate reports that use the rrdtool graphs, these reports are done using ConTeXt on Windows, so I would rather have it all on one platform. The only binaries I can find are rather old (1.2.3 or thereabouts)....

Any help much appreciated.

Best regards,

Peter