[rrd-users] RRDTool as a server in Solaris

Steve Shipway s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz
Wed Dec 1 22:32:25 CET 2010

 When you run 'rrdtool -' it takes a chain of commands from standard input.  However, where are these commands coming from if you run it under SMF?  You've nothing to handle listening to a socket, and multiple connections would require multiple invocations... hence it doesnt work.

My 'method 1' (inetd mode) will cause SMF to take care of listening to sockets, and after a connect, the connected socket is linked ot the standard input of the spawned rrdtool process.

Steve Shipway
University of Auckland ITS
UNIX Systems Design Lead
s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz<mailto:s.shipway at auckland.ac.nz>