[rrd-users] Graph of rails requests average hour by hour, as a "typical day"

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Fri Nov 26 11:55:17 CET 2010

Jérémy Frere wrote:

>I have a production.log file, containing the
>requests details with date/hour of the request.
>I easily parsed the lines to get the timestamp
>of the request, and managed to of generate
>graphs of the average requests per hour on one
>day, week, month or year. But I couldn't manage
>to get the average requests for one "typical
>day", summarizing the yearly average of requests
>in one single day.

I'm unclear what you are asking. Are you wanting
a single number that says "average usage is X
requests/day over the last year" ?
To do that, you simply want to generate an
"empty" graph and do no more than PRINT (not
GPRINT) a VDEF which is the average rate times
86400 and with start/end times covering a year.

If you get a VDEF which is the average value of
the year, then that will be the rate/second. To
get rate/day you just need to multiply by 86400
(seconds in a day) to get the rate/day.

I'd also suggest you stufy Alex's tutorials at
http://www.vandenbogaerdt.nl/rrdtool/
In particular, the ones on "Computing amount of
data transfered when you want the TOTAL amount",
and "Rates, normalizing and consolidating".

Also note that your primary data points start/end
on well defined step boundaries. These are ALWAYS
a multiple of the step period from unix epoch
(midnight, 1st Jan 1970 UTC). Rrdtool always
works in UTC internally.

--
Simon Hobson