[rrd-users] Fetch the time of the first entry

Simon Hobson linux at thehobsons.co.uk
Tue Jul 1 09:11:57 CEST 2014

Steven Sim <unixandme at outlook.com> wrote:

> I'm being asked to write a scrip to append data to an rrd and plot daily, weekly and monthly graphs of said data.
>
> I already have a script to create an rrd and write data to it.
>
> To append, I'll simply bypass the 'creation' logic of my script and use a user specified rrd file.

It may be just the way you write, but the wording makes me wonder if you properly understand how RRD works. Because in RRD, there is no such function as appending data - only updating. You specify the number of consolidated data points to keep at the point of creation, after that the size never changes and you only update values.