[rrd-users] since when rrdtool tune can add another DS?

Tobi Oetiker tobi at oetiker.ch
Thu Oct 15 20:39:07 CEST 2015

hi peter

> On 15.10.2015, at 20:33, Petr Stehlik <pstehlik at sophics.cz> wrote:
>
> Tobi Oetiker píše v Čt 15. 10. 2015 v 19:41 +0200:
>> there is no new tune ability in 1.5 as I said all this functionality was moved into create ...
>
> I see! So in order to add a new DS you have to create a whole new RRD?
> That's a pity. Using the tune on a live RRD file would be way easier for
> users.

adding a ds is a deep structural
change for an rrd file. so however it is done, a new file has to be created.

with the new create aproach you have the advantage of being able to do even more advanced changes like modifying the samplingrate and the like

> BTW, even man page of rrd create still points to rrd tune regarding
> adding a DS (indirectly).

if you are working through them, please do a pull request vs the 1.5 branch o  github, that would be great!

>> and to get a current version of rrdtool just download the source and configure make install it. works fine.
>
> in Debian there are many RRD libraries in separate packages
> ( https://packages.debian.org/search?suite=wheezy&keywords=rrd ). They
> all have to be upgraded as well, I believe. Plain configure make install
> will not address that, I am afraid. I, for example, need to update the
> php5-rrd (i.e. /usr/lib/php5/20100525/rrd.so).

you can install
rrdtool 1.5
in a separate location on your system, without hurting the existing setup. and use it in your project.

cheers
tobi