[smokeping-users] Re: Using echoping to monitor several webservers

Niko Tyni ntyni+smokeping-users at mappi.helsinki.fi
Thu Mar 21 13:44:27 MET 2002

On Thu, Mar 21, 2002 at 11:02:23AM +1100, Lightfoot.Michael wrote:

> I am trying to monitor three webservers using echoping and the HTTP probe
> module.
>
> I have tried several different configurations, mostly wild guesses as to how
> it *should* be done, but have either had smokeping refuse to co-operate with
> my config :-) or have one of the webservers not being probed.

The PROBE_CONF section always concerns the target one level higher in
the tree. This is quite counter-intuitive, but there weren't too many
possibilities with the current config file format.

> The Intranet webserver is not being probed (all graphs are NaN).  If I
> include any of the stuff under PROBE_CONF into the relevant host's config I
> get an error such as "ERROR: /usr/local/smokeping/etc/config, line 207:
> unknown variable 'url'".  If I try another nested PROBE_CONF I get a nesting
> error.

Kind of strange. There's one obvious mistake in the config
(comments below), but I think the host 'intranet' should be probed
with port=80 and url=/, which seems to be what you want.

Try it with 'smokeping -debug', the EchoPing module will tell you what
commands it runs.

Comments:

> menu = Top
> title = Comcare Network Latency Grapher
> remark = Welcome to the SmokePing Latency Grapher at Comcare. \
>          Shows the latency of various network connections.
>
> + PROBE_CONF
> timeout = 1
> waittime = 1
> udp = no
> size = 510
> tos = 0xa0
> priority = 6
>
> + Comcare
> menu = Comcare Internal
> title = Comcare Internal Network
> probe = FPing
>
> (...)
>
> + WebServers
>
> menu = Web and Proxy Servers
> title = Web and Proxy Servers
> probe = EchoPingHttp
>
> ++ WWWComcare
> menu = Comcare Webserver
> title = Comcare Webserver
> host = proxy.comcare.gov.au
>
> ++ PROBE_CONF
> ignore-cache = yes
> force-revalidate = no
> port = 8080
> url = http://www.comcare.gov.au/

This concerns the whole WebServers branch, not only the WWWComcare.

> ++ WWWIntranet
> menu = Intranet Webserver
> title = Intranet Webserver
> host = intranet
>
> +++ PROBE_CONF
> ignore-cache = yes
> force-revalidate = no
> url = /
> port = 80

This should apply to the WWWIntranet branch like you seem to intend.

> ++ WWWDev
> menu = Dev Webserver
> title = Development Webserver
> host = localhost

This inherits the WebServers branch variables (port = 8080,
url = http://www.comcare.gov.au  etc.)

> One other minor problem.  I have a host which is not in the DNS and needs
> pinging (with FPing).  When I include it's IP address as the host variable
> it is not probed.  Is there a way around this?  Do I need to escape some of
> the characters?

This works for me, I don't think it's a quoting problem. Sorry, no idea.
--
niko