[smokeping-users] Cisco RttMon/SAA probe written

Joerg Kummer matto_ at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 27 16:33:10 MEST 2003

Hi
I wrote a (first version of a) probe for Smokeping, which uses the Cisco
RttMon MIB (Cisco Service Assurance Agent SAA) to measure ICMP echo
roundtrip times between a Cisco IOS box and an IP address. The code is
attached. I tried to make a reasonable description in pod format in
CiscoRTTMonEchoICMP.pm .

The mechanism for other SAA measurement types, e.g. DNS or http, seems quite
similar. So, I hope the code can be used as a first template to implement
other SAA probes.

open issues:

I had difficulties with snmpset in SNMP_util.pm, because I needed to set a
variable of the type "timeticks" and SNMP_util.pm doesn't seem to support
it. I modified SNMP_util 0.89 (slightly), because I was too lazy to work
directly with SNMP_Session.pm .

I think it would be beneficial to make a differentiation in the data and the
graphs between the cases
1) the measurement failed for some reason, e.g. smokeping or the smokeping
host were down, the Cisco was down, SNMP access to the Cisco didn't work ...
So, we don't know about the state of the target and the network path to the
target.
2) the measurement succeded, but no ping replies were received.
We DO know that the target was not reachable over the network.

Usually unnecessary extra pings are sent and their results are ignored (has
something to do with RTTMon MIB implementation).

The code needs further testing - especially against other IOS versions. I
managed to crash a IOS 12.0(9) box quite "reliably", but didn't see any
crashes on IOS 12.0(5)T1 ->> I strongly recommend to use the probe with less
critical routers running IOS >= 12.0(5)T.

tschuess !
                   joerg

MSN - More useful every day  http://www.msn.ch

-- Type: application/x-gzip-compressed