[smokeping-users] How to tell SmokePing to add the -t option to fping probes

klkbranch klkbranch at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 19 18:08:06 MET 2003

I need to make SmokePing use the "-t" option of fping:
     -tn  Individual host timeout in milliseconds (default 2500). This is
the
  minimum number of milliseconds between ping packets directed
  towards a given host.

According to:

http://people.ee.ethz.ch/~oetiker/webtools/smokeping/probes/fping.en.html
it appears that the only paramater I can specify for fping use within the
SmokePing config file is packetsize.

It looks like I could modify the FPing.pm file directly.  My guess is that
I'd change the following line from the ping subroutine in the FPing.pm from:
    my $pid = open3($inh,$outh,$errh,
                    $self->{properties}{binary}, @bytes,
                    '-C', $self->{cfg}{Database}{pings},
'-q','-B1','-i10','-r1',
                    @{$self->addresses});
    my $pid = open3($inh,$outh,$errh,
                    $self->{properties}{binary}, @bytes,
                    '-C', $self->{cfg}{Database}{pings},
'-q','-B1','-i10','-r1','-t5000',
                    @{$self->addresses});

Is there a cleaner way to make SmokePing use additional fping paramaters
beyond packetsize?  Perhaps at the target level rather than global?

Thanks!
Kevin