[smokeping-users] Re: Clearing extreme points in graphs?

Ed Ravin eravin at panix.com
Tue Jan 28 17:49:29 MET 2003

On Tue, Jan 28, 2003 at 11:11:40AM -0500, Jeff Stewart wrote:
> Hopefully this is doable.  I have about 6 months worth of data for my
> graphs.  Typical RTT is alway 10 - 20 ms.  During this past weekends
> sql/slapper fiasco, I've got this huge spike in the graphs, up around
> 2000+ms, that lasts for a couple of hours.  As expected. [... Is]
> there any way to clear out these extreme entries?  Short of wiping out
> the .rrd files and starting fresh?

The Cricket folks have excellent spike-removal technology (now, if we
could only prevent the damn spikes from happening in the first place).
Please see the Cricket contrib page at:

   http://www.certaintysolutions.com/tech-advice/cricket-contrib/

You'll be interested in these two programs:

    killspike2 (by Matt Zimmerman) - removes entries in a DS that
exceed a specified value.

    rrdcut (by yours truly) - removes all entries in the RRD file
between a specified date and time.

I've used both of these scripts for Cricket RRD files, I'm not
familiar with the construction of a Smokeping RRD, but these
scripts have no Cricket-specific stuff in them so they might
work for you.  Suggest you set up a test copy of an RRD and
experiment with it.

	-- Ed