[smokeping-users] Re: rsync

Marc Powell mpowell at ena.com
Wed Jul 23 20:39:19 MEST 2003

I've been doing it for over a year with 4 data collectors rsyncing back
to a central host (monitoring a total of 2000+ devices). Just give
careful thought to your tree structure and you should be ok. Here's how
mine is set up --

+ tn
++ schools
+++ east (data collector 1)
+++ middle (data collector 2)
+++ west (data collector 3)
+ Corp (data collector 4)

The rsync command I use to send the rrd files back to the central host
is --

/usr/bin/rsync -avz --delete -W -e /usr/bin/ssh
/usr/local/smokeping/var/tn/schools/east
central-host:"/usr/local/smokeping/var/tn/schools"

Of course I have all the appropriate keys set up beforehand. You'll
still need to install rrdtool on your central host so that it can
generate the graphs, etc...

Hope that helps,

Marc

mailto:smokeping-users-request at list.ee.ethz.ch?subject=help