[smokeping-users] Re: spreading checks and target "aliasing"

Sebastien Guilbaud sguilbaud at oceanet-technology.com
Wed Jun 9 09:42:08 MEST 2004

>>Smokeping seems to put quite a network load on my server
>>as Nagios (on the same machine) regularly fires false
>>alerts (mainly high response times, no packet loss). I wonder
>>whether smokeping could spread checks a little to smooth
>>the load ? (~100 fping targets). I've tried the per-probe
>>'forks' option, but I always see in the process list a *big*
>>fping with all my targets in one *big* command line :)))
>
> there is no spreading as such, but you can change the fping
> parameters to make it less agressive ...

one told me to make probes fork, but the fping probe does
not seem to obey this parameter....

>>Next, I wonder whether there's a clean way to have a target
>>in two places in the config (tested only once, of course), in
>>order to have an isp-centric view for the noc, and a
>>customer-centric view for sales reps ?
>
> there is not such featuere at this point in time I am afraid ...
> sponsors welcome ...

We can live without this feature, and it seems to be other methods
to handle this kind of request (smokeping static site / frames /etc.)
If I find something interesting, I'll tell the list

have a nice day !

--
Sébastien Guilbaud