[smokeping-users] Re: smokeping won't run (repost)

Peter Hessler phessler at theapt.org
Wed Oct 13 18:20:38 MEST 2004

On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 07:59:40 -0400
"Dan McGinn-Combs" <Dan.McGinn-Combs at Geac.com> wrote:

:G'Day,
:Well, one reason that nothing shows up in the syslog is because it is
:configured not to. Uncomment the second of the following lines in your
:config file:
:# specify this to get syslog logging
:# syslogfacility = local0
:

Bah.  It was uncommented for a while, I just didn't change the copy of the
file that I edit.  Now syslog says:

Oct 13 09:12:09 gir smokeping.cgi[24188]: Launched successfully
Oct 13 09:12:09 gir smokeping.cgi[24188]: FPing: probing 3 targets
Oct 13 09:12:29 gir smokeping.cgi[24188]: Illegal division by zero at
/usr/local/libdata/perl5/site_perl/probes/FPing.pm line 106, <GEN2> line 1.

Line 106 says """@times = map {sprintf "%.10e", $_ / $self->{pingfactor}}
sort{$a <=> $b} grep /^\d/, @times;"""

I don't know perl, so I don't know how to fix it.  But it looks like
"$self->{pingfactor}" got broken somehow.

:I don't see the typical message I would expect to see at the end of your
:output:
:"Daemonizing smokeping ..."
:
:Do you see this message ever?
:Dan
:

I have never seen that message.

:> : If not, then I would suggest you enable
:> :the syslogfacility and check for anything in the syslog file when you
:> :start smokeping.
:> :
:>
:> Nothing shows up in syslog.  Sorry, I thought I mentioned that.
:>
:

--
Those of you who think you know everything are very annoying to those
of us who do.