[smokeping-users] Re: Need help urgently-XML format

amedee at amedee.be amedee at amedee.be
Wed May 3 22:16:10 MEST 2006

> hi all,
> I need to convert historical PingER data into Smokeping (RRDTool) data in
> order to plot it using Smokeping.
> PingER is also a network monitoring tool and has enough information
> (timestamps for each probe of x number of pings it sends, the round trip
> times of each ping, and also the pachet loss), that the Smokeping Database
> needs in order  to plot graphs. Actually I can say enough information
> because I have compared the pingER text data file with that of Smokepings
> file by first converting a .rrd file, generated by Smokeping, into XML
> format.
>
> My strategy is to take pingER data and convert it at "run time" into the
> XML format and then give it to Smokeping to plot after using "Restore"
> function to restore the XML files to .rrd files.

I suggest you take a deep breath and dive into the RRDtool documentation.
I think you don't even need the XML files. You can inject your data
directly into a rrd file using rrdupdate:
http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdupdate.en.html
That's my suggestion for live data.

For historical data, you are on the right track with an xml file and
rrdrestore: http://oss.oetiker.ch/rrdtool/doc/rrdrestore.en.html

--
Amedee Van Gasse