[smokeping-users] Gaps in Graphs

Peter Kristolaitis alter3d at alter3d.ca
Mon Nov 12 20:58:40 CET 2007

Hi Scott;

The first thing I would check would be to see if any new devices have
been added to your SmokePing config around the time you started having
problems.  If so, check the SmokePing logs for warnings that look like
"Warning:  Polling took longer than the interval step." or something
similar.

What could be happening is that at some point, you had X devices
monitored, and they took, for example, 298 seconds to scan.  If you
added another device, all of a sudden it might take 302 seconds to
scan.  If you had your scan cycles set to 5 minutes (300 seconds), this
means that SmokePing can't complete a round of scanning before another
one starts.  This could definitely cause the problems you've been seeing.

If this is the case, the solution is to either lenghten the scan cycle,
remove some hosts, increase concurrency (although I don't think that's
supported in 1.x?), or upgrade to the current SmokePing series and
implement multiple monitors and/or master/slave.

Cheers,
Peter