[smokeping-users] SmokePing permission

Kim Ford kim.f at aware.co.th
Tue Feb 2 18:45:01 CET 2010

Hi,

This is my first time trying to install SmokePing.  I installed using ports on a FreeBSD machine to learn.

I'm getting the following error trying to start SmokePing:

Starting smokeping.
### assuming you are using an fping copy reporting in milliseconds
ERROR: mkdir /usr/local/etc/smokeping/tmp/data/mysite2: Permission denied
/usr/local/etc/rc.d/smokeping: WARNING: failed to start smokeping

I created the tmp directory under /usr/local/etc/smokeping/ for lack of any documentation I could dig up.

Permissions on this directory are:

[root at freebsd /usr/local/etc/smokeping]# ls -al tmp
total 8
drwxr-xr-x  4 www   www    512 Feb  3 00:11 .
drwxr-xr-x  3 root  wheel  512 Feb  3 00:12 ..
drwxr-xr-x  2 www   www    512 Feb  3 00:11 data
drwxr-xr-x  2 www   www    512 Feb  3 00:11 var

I'm assuming that smokeping runs under the Apache www account.  Everything does work if chmod 777 the temp dir, but I don't think that's good practice.

What's the proper permission to set here?

Thanks mucho,

Kim