[smokeping-users] How to increase RRD history?

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Mon Mar 5 17:51:16 CET 2012

There are three columns in the database section.
"Average" [What kind of calc to do on the "raw" data.]
0.5 [which I don't recall what that means.]
1 [How many "steps" are included in this row.] (The first set are full
resolution data, the others, with say, a 12, means we're going to
aggregate 12 individual samples into 1.) {So, you can tinker with this
aggregation, depending on how you want your non-full-resolution data
aggregated. Perhaps it would be useful, but easier to leave it alone.}

Then, the next column is how many samples we'll keep for this series.
So, if you have one minute samples {step} and want to keep 7 days,
you'll need 7(days)*24(hours)*60(minutes) = 10080 rows.

These aren't files - it's more that if you have hundreds or thousands
of devices you're sampling, there's a lot of them.

I'd guess that I/O would become the problem, not actual disk space.
---
IIRC, I had three days of full resolution data at 1 minute steps, and
then I left most everything else alone.

That made an 8.5MB file for each device. [i.e. - if I had a 48 port
switch I was monitoring, there were 48 files of 8.5MB each.]

Still, we're not talking very much space, really.

But you'll probably do best to just tinker a bit. Shoot for the moon,
and store 30 days of full resolution data and then run it and see how
big the files are.

[You might find that full res data for a longer time can be traded off
with shorter aggregate data (fewer rows{fourth column}), or more steps aggregated
into one (greater aggregation step {the third column}).]

-Greg