[smokeping-users] Newbie - How to add new host/group to Smokeping, and have that show up on webpage

Gregory Sloop gregs at sloop.net
Wed Aug 1 23:32:32 CEST 2018

Top posting.

Isn't CentOS 7 now using systemd?
[Thus, perhaps like in Ubuntu/Debian "service" commands don't do what you want/expect.]

And that would explain most of your symptoms. It doesn't look like Smokeping exits, and if it doesn't exit/terminate properly it's not going to load the new config either.

You can try running SP in an interactive debug mode, with the --debug switch.

That might help you figure out if the config file has a problem [syntax error that causes it to load improperly] or if it is indeed that the service isn't getting started/stopped/restarted properly.

While I'm not of the, "systemd is the worst thing ever, second only to Hitler" school, I'm not a big fan. And I feel pretty out of my depth trying to grok much about it.

HTH
-Greg

Hi everyone --

New user of smokeping ----

I have it up and running on a couple of Centos 7 machines using the yum epel rpm without too much issue.

However -- when I try to add a new host in Targets, two things are going wrong.

- I cannot seem to shut down smokeping by "service smokeping stop"  -- it leaves an instance of apache running /usr/bin/perl ..../smokeping.fcgi

When I restart smokeping with kill -HUP commands, and restart it "service smokeping restart"
it does not seem to re-read the config file and add in the new host I've just created...

Thanks, Tim

--
Tim, KA4LFP