[mrtg] Re: Total bandwidth usage and My BIG problem

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Thu Oct 28 03:01:26 MEST 1999

Frank> On another note. I was just called by my Co-location ISP (to
Frank> remain anonymous for now) they told me I have used 9.1 gigs of
Frank> bandwidth this month(!) and they are going to charge me up the
Frank> wazoo. All for three lightly used domains. My analog reports
Frank> show less than 5 gigs of outbound transfer total for the last
Frank> six months. Needless to say we have a big dispute.

Frank> They claim to be using MRTG to calculate my utilization by
Frank> multiplying the averages and coming up with my total two way
Frank> transfer amount. I don't think there is any way that this could
Frank> be accurate at all. They've told me that they are going to send
Frank> me their formula for this calculation, I can't wait.

Frank> I've used MRTG for several years. I never thought it could be
Frank> an accurate tool for this purpose. Who is right?

Frank> Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

get their raw data.  push them for it.  without that, they have athumb
held up to the horizon going, "well, it looks like this...."  tell
them that you think that they are just guessing if they can't provide
any numbers.  they shouold at least get you screen shots of what they
guessed off of.

rob