[mrtg] Re: question about http://teak.wiscnet.net/nrg/NoSuchSD.html

Rob Walker rob at valinux.com
Fri Oct 29 20:09:52 MEST 1999

>>>>> On Fri, 29 Oct 1999 11:51:00 +0200,
>>>>> lists at ripper.informatik.uni-ulm.de said:

lists> Another possibility: mrtg can be used together with rrdtool
lists> (instead of rateup, cf. rrdtool/contrib/14all but look for
lists> actual version of 14all.cgi).  To generate the 4 hour graph you
lists> just need to add some lines to 14all.cgi.  If your interested I
lists> can tell you how to change the cgi (perl, just copy a few
lists> lines).

I am interested in this.  i have been thinking that 14all.cgi looks
like a better solution than index.cgi for a little while.  However, we
also would like to have 14all.cgi be able to sort the .gif file output
so that we just see the biggest users at the top, and stuff like that,
and we have started to put that sort of command line into index.cgi.

I am not sure that it is wise to be having mrtg creating the .gif
files, as far as that goes.

I suppose that rrdtool is the way to be going, since that tool looks
like it is the one which will be maintained going forward.  We still
need to save the 5 minute queries into a MySQL database for forever
billing and it seems like the same work either way.

rob